On July 29, the Criterion Collection will release Roman Polanski’s proto-slasher classic “Repulsion” starring Catherine Deneuve. This 1965 flick features Deneuve as a paranoid psychotic who loses all grip on reality when her sister/roommate goes away for the weekend. Ceilings crack, hands reach out of walls, a bunny corpse starts to rot, and Deneuve finds interesting uses for a straight razor. Polanski’s first English-language film, “Repulsion” is a bonefide classic. Look for the director in a brief cameo.
Disc special features include:
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with an uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray editi
- Audio commentary featuring director Roman Polanski and actress Catherine Deneuve
- A British Horror Film (2003), a documentary on the making of Repulsion, featuring interviews with Polanski, producer Gene Gutowski, and cinematographer Gil Taylor
- A 1964 television documentary filmed on the set of Repulsion, featuring rare footage of Polanski and Deneuve at work
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar and curator Bill Horrigan