Just wanted to say that yesterday i received my copy of My Bloody Valentine special edition a week before it’s release. Lets me just say, I saw My Bloody Valentine when I was about 6 or 7 and over the past 24 years or so it still stands up as one of my favourite 80′s slashers. It was fun, creepy and kinda camp. Now when you choose on the special edition to watch the movie with the deleted gore footage it has become a dark, violent, scary and did I say violent already!!!!!!!!!
I cannot believe that over the years I heard and even saw pictures of the missing gore of MBV and always got excited about it……..What you may have seen and read does not do it justice. It is now right up there with The Burning in it’s brutality and gore effects.
Harry Warden is now a seriously nasty villian. And if this had been released in it’s uncut form in the 80′s I think he would had been right up there with Jason, Michael and Freddy.
All the deaths are now uncut each as nasty as each other. The ones that shocked me is the mining supervisor in the flashback sequence. Not only does he get a pick axe to the chest, he now has his entire torso ripped open and his heart pulled out by Harry.
- We get to see Harry Warden eat one of the trapped miners arms instead of just cradling it.
- Mabel now flies out of the dryer in full view of her charred corpse then rotates in the drier in slow mo for a good 30 seconds.
- The bartender gets a pick axe to the jaw proceeding to push his eyeball out.
- Dave has a face boiling scene that rivals the one in Halloween II.
- Sylvia….oooohhh poor Sylvia. Gets the back of her skull rammed and I mean rammed through with a pipe, proceeding to come out of her open screaming mouth.
- Hollis death is quite nasty with a nail gun to the side and front of his head.
- Howard decapitation/hanging is there with a nasty shot of his head just hanging on a wire.
- Patty’s death is a tad longer with more of an impact shot in her gut.
- And what Axel does to his arm has to been seen to be believed.
The deleted footage itself is a tiny bit rawer than the almost perfect transfer of the movie (better than the paramount edition by far) so you always know when your watching a cut scene. The 5.1 audio is amazing adding extra creepiness to the mine scenes.
The suppliments are okay. MBV and the rise of the slasher movie is good and it has interviews with 3 of the cast and the director and producers and writers, but it doesn’t go into any detail and at 20 mins in length 10 mins of it is interviewing the cast and crew of My Bloody Valentine 3D.
The dvd has a cool interactive Horror movie history, by clicking on sub-genres of horror it gives a cool history and recommendations pf movies to watch. If you watch the deleted scenes seperatly then they are all introduced by the cast and crew giving some insight.
I cannot recommend this dvd enough. The movie itself has now such an extra depth to it now and it now almost feels like a new movie. It would be amazing if Paramount took notice at Lionsgate and pulled out the deleted footage for Friday the 13th part 2……..wishful thinking huh!!!!!!!